Alcohol Rehab Help have a wide variety of useful information on alcoholism and the many health conditions which can arise as a result of alcoholism.
Their page on Stomach Pain After Drinking, written by Vince Ayaga and reviewed by Dr. P.E. Pancoast, focusses on alcoholic gastritis and other conditions affecting the digestive system.
- Alcohol gastritis occurs when the stomach lining is inflamed.
- There are 2 types of alcohol gastritis: acute and chronic.
- Risk factors include bacterial infection, NSAIDs, prolonged alcohol intake, smoking, and stress.
- Treatment for alcoholic gastritis includes medications, change of diet, and reparative surgeries.
- Common symptoms include nausea, vomiting, and stomach pain.
- Complications of alcoholic gastritis include gastrointestinal tract (UGI) bleeding, anemia, severe weight loss, ulcers, and stomach cancer.